In Pursuit Of African Music Cds & Vinyl

Songs Of Africa: Beautiful Music With A Violent History

Something about downloading CDs, singles, and streaming music from the Internet, though, doesnt work well for radio shows (and DJs) so I went on a hunt for still-standing record stores that carry African music. I followed a path to Sterns Music located, as I rememberedin central London, which used to be the #1 retailer for African music in the world. The English gentleman there explained that, unfortunately, they now only sell on-line. Id also caught wind of a New Jersey branch of Sterns here in the US, and reached out to them, only to the same response. After a few more calls and conversations, I found my destination. First I would head to Los Angeles, California to Amoeba Music ,probably the only mega-music store remaining in the US, and browse their African music section to see if they had anything of interest. Second, I would make plans to travel to Africa later in 2012 or early 2013 for recordings of local contemporary music.
For more information, visit http://blogs.voanews.com/african-music-treasures/2012/07/26/in-pursuit-of-african-music-cds-vinyl/

It’s beautiful music with a violent history: the music of oppressed people combined with the music of their oppressors. “It’s the same story as the spirituals,” Hudson says. “But within that oppression, much like in the spirituals even in the depth of the sadness there’s a kernel of what is possible.” A Better Peace This is music born of pain, and it insists on life, on resilience, on a connection to something beyond human suffering. Part of the power of these hymns comes from how they assimilated customs and musical traditions rooted far from Christianity, Onovwerosuoke says. Melissa Breed Parks is part of his core ensemble. She’s wearing a yellow robe and embroidered headscarf that don’t look to be part of her own faith tradition. “I’m Quaker, and we don’t sing or even really talk,” Parks says.
For more information, visit http://www.npr.org/2013/08/03/208297562/songs-of-africa-beautiful-music-with-a-violent-history

How quickly it changes: The African Music Business

The night life was bubbling EVERYWHERE in Africa, as compared to the 90s and this gave a major boost to the music industry as they work hand in hand. New nightclubs, new promoters (many of whom had travelled the world and brought home fresh ideas), new entertainment companies and a whole bunch of new artists all sprung up throughout the continent. This all played a part in the promotion of artists, as African artistes as opposed to the 90s when it was strictly international acts were now doing shows/concerts. Nightclubs were now playing music from African artistes as opposed to when it was only Western artistes you heard bursting through the speakers. Everything seemed to be going on smoothly, everyone seemed happy but there was a major problem. A majority of them were hardly making any money. This forced many African artistes to consider making a name for themselves out of the continent where promises of profits made sense.
For more information, visit http://www.southerntimesafrica.com/news_article.php?id=9184&title=How%20quickly%20it%20changes%20%20%20%20The%20African%20Music%20Business%20&type=95